PROVEN TEEN SMOKING AND VAPING CESSATION PROGRAM
Tragically, about 95% of today’s tobacco users started using before the age of 21. E-cigarettes have escalated this problem, with over 5,700 kids starting to vape every day, according to the CDC.
N-O-T seeks to address this growing problem by providing a voluntary quit tobacco program that’s designed specifically for teens ages 14-19. Unlike other cessation programs, which simply modify adult curriculum, N-O-T was designed with teens in mind and addresses issues that are specifically important to them.
How It Works
Lasting 10 weeks, the program is taught by a trained and certified adult and each 50-minute session takes a holistic approach using different interactive learning strategies based on Social Cognitive Theory of behavior change that can then be applied and practiced in everyday life and encourages a voluntary change for youth ages 14 to 19.
The revolutionary approach and easy-to-use method help teens quit by addressing total health in order to develop and maintain positive behaviors. Participants will talk about the importance of physical activity, nutrition, enhancing their sense of self-control, and improving life skills such as stress management, decision making, coping and interpersonal skills. Additionally, they will learn to identify their reasons for smoking or vaping, healthy alternatives to tobacco use and finding people who will support them in their efforts to quit.
- Session 1: Reasons for Quitting
- Session 2: Why I Smoke/Vape
- Session 3: Nicotine Addiction and Triggers
- Session 4: Effects of Smoking/Vaping
- Session 5: Physical, Psychological and Social Benefits of Quitting
- Session 6: Quitting Nicotine Use
- Session 7: Overcoming Obstacles to Quitting
- Session 8: How to Deal with Stress
- Session 9: Myths of Big Tobacco
- Session 10: Staying Committed to Quitting
N-O-T is an evidence-based program with an impressive success rate, with approximately 90 percent of teens who participate in the program cutting back or quitting tobacco all together. Post program, Not On Tobacco® program youth also have been shown to have better grades, higher motivation, fewer absences, better relationships with teachers and fewer school tobacco use policy violations.
HOW TO START YOUR OWN N-O-T PROGRAM
Adults or organizations who wish to facilitate N-O-T are invited to learn more about the American Lung Association's youth cessation resources, which include:
- A 7-hour facilitator certification training course
- 3-year facilitator certification
- Not On Tobacco® certification tracking, management and recognition which allows certified facilitators to deliver the program anywhere nationwide
- Facilitator curriculum and participant workbook to print on demand
- Access to American Lung Association's INDEPTH alternative to suspension or citation program
- Annual curriculum updates to ensure best practices in address emerging tobacco trends
- Results of case studies and presented outcomes regarding evidence of program efficacy
- Bi-Annual Nationwide Not On Tobacco® facilitator technical assistance webinars on emerging tobacco trends
- Recertification training webinars for 3-year certification renewal
If you are interested in becoming a trained facilitator, please contact:
Chaste Truman Barclay
Senior Manager | Health Promotions